Sunday, February 7, 2010

Move Past Self-Doubt

I Googled "worry" and found some interesting sites. Most of these sites were about how to overcome worry and anxiety. Some boasted worry quotes while others mentioned who/what should be worried. I skipped over anything negative and discovered some worry quotes that really spoke to me. The following quote is one of the stronger in the bunch:

Let us be of good cheer, remembering that the misfortunes hardest to bear are those which will never happen. ~ James Russel Lowell

It struck me because no matter how something turns out in the end, we usually imagine the worst possibility and let that fear choke us. Most often, we get so consumed with this dread; we cannot consider a better alternative. I must admit, I am a repeat offender. In the past, I have worked myself up into such a state where not much could calm me down. Why do we do these things to ourselves?

Web MD acknowledges that some worry/anxiety is healthy and beneficial. However, when we become overwrought, it can be disabling. I experienced a few panic attacks last year and they were awful. Looking back, I can attribute these attacks to the stress I had constantly dealt with throughout the semester. All of the stress ate away at me and left me vulnerable. During that Christmas break, when I tried to relax was when they hit.

I never want to feel that way again. That is why I'm working on worrying less, and I hope you will join me. Let us take into consideration the words of the wise Mr. Lowell (an American poet, critic, editor, and diplomat) the next time we are filled with self-doubt.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment