Sunday, March 14, 2010

Little things

Last Wednesday we watched Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio in one of my psychology classes. I watched in amazement as the mother in the movie (based on a true story) continued to exude optimism and happiness while dealing with her alcoholic husband and lack of funds to support her ten children.

When I step back from my daily hassles, and consider such realities others have to face, I am humbled. I cannot imagine how people like Evelyn Ryan (from the movie) manage to survive, with a smile on their faces. I recommend trying to find joy in the little things each day brings. Mrs. Ryan did and it helped her get through some very tough times.

Plus, a little song from a man named Charlie Chaplin can help lift spirits.

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky
you'll get by.

If you smile through your pain and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun shining through
For you.

Light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying.
You'll find that life is still worthwhile-
If you just smile.
Hope you have fun finding and enjoying those little things, remember the big ones don't come around that often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment